Bluffton in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Church of the Cross
Of Historic Places
Church of the Cross
South Carolina Department
Erected by U.S. Department of the Interior. (Marker Number #75001686.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Landmarks • Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 13.882′ N, 80° 51.817′ W. Marker is in Bluffton, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Calhoun Street near Pope Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Calhoun Street, Bluffton SC 29910, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bluffton United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Michael C. Riley Schools (approx. 0.7 miles away); Palmetto Bluff (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Palmetto Bluff (approx. 1.9 miles away); Pinckney Island Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Luke's Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bluffton.
Regarding Church of the Cross. National Register of Historic Places :
Church of the Cross ** (added 1975 - Building - #75001686)
Calhoun St., Bluffton
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: White,Edward Brickell
Architectural Style: Gothic, Other
Area of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1850-1874
Historic Function: Religion
Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
Current Function: Religion
Current Sub-function: Church School, Religious Structure
Also see . . . The Church of the Cross History. In 1863, Federal troops marched into Bluffton, burning most of the town. Although the church was spared, its congregation fled. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.