Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Kennedy Mining and Milling Company
1860 - 1942
This plaque is in memory of the pioneer miners who are an important part of California history.
Erected 2002 by Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
Location. 38° 22.056′ N, 120° 46.889′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from Kennedy Mine Road. This is a use fee area. Marker is mounted on the Mine Office Building located on the grounds of Kennedy Mine and may only be viewed during normal operating hours of the Mine Tour. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson CA 95642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kennedy Mine Headframe (within shouting distance of this marker); Massa (Tunnel) Adit (approx. 0.3 miles away); A. Chichizola Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anthony Caminetti (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Kennedy Mine / The Argonaut Mine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Argonaut Mine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Amador County Veterans' Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Also see . . . Kennedy Gold Mine Foundation. The official web site of the organization that manages the mine. It covers the history, geology, photos, and general information of the Kennedy Mine. (Submitted on June 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
1. Kennedy Gold Mine Office
Built in 1907, this three story concrete building was the business center for the Kennedy Gold Mine. The west room on the first floor is the retort room. This is where gold and silver were separated from the mercury by heating. This is also where the gold bars were poured for shipment to the San Francisco Mint.
The east room on the first floor is the assay office where the assayer determined the richness of the ore samples. On average, one ton of ore produced 1/4 ounce of gold. Each day about 400 tons of ore were mined.
The west rooms on the second floor were offices. The room to the rear became a kitchen in later years. and is now the archive office.
The east room on the second floor was the main office and contains a large walk-in vault and safe. Most of the business
Source: Kennedy Mine Walking Tour Brochure
— Submitted June 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,439 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.