Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
E.J. Lavino & Company #3
E.J. Lavino and Company operated a ferro-manganese blast furnace in Sheridan. Manganese, a necessary ingredient in the manufacture of steel, was provided by E.J. Lavino to the United States' steel industry.
The steel industry, in turn, was an important supplier to the railroads - supplying the basic ingredient for manufacture of rails, locomotives, and car parts.
Erected by Steamtown Nataionl Historic Site - National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 41° 24.441′ N, 75° 40.256′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker can be reached from Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east. Located in the Roundhouse in Steamtown National Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of New Haven Trap Rock Company #43 (a few steps from this marker); 1902 Roundhouse Section (a few steps from this marker); Turntable (a few steps from this marker); Pennsylvania Boxcars (within shouting distance of this marker); Long Island Railroad #193 Rotary Snow Plow (within shouting distance of this marker); DL&W Coal Hoppers (within shouting distance of this marker); Claremont & Concord Snow Plow #60 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1902/1937 Roundhouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
More about this marker. The photo of the switch engine on the marker is captioned, In 1927, the American Locomotive Company sold this switch engine, painted with the road number 2, to the Poland Springs Company. Later the engine was sold to E.J. Lavino and renumbered - #3.
Also see . . . E.J. Lavino & Company #3. (PDF) Additional details from the park service site. (Submitted on June 9, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,039 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.