Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodside in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Town of West Union

1853 ~ 1910

 
 
Town of West Union Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Wm K. Raven Howland, March 2008
1. Town of West Union Marker
Inscription.  The town of West Union stood between today’s Edgewood Road and Raymundo Drive in Woodside. The town was originally developed by the employees of two lumber mills on West Union Creek established by Willard Whipple. Farming supplemented the lumber work and other businesses such as a saloon and market quickly came into existence. When the timber ran out two wineries began planting grapes and were successful. A school house stood where the power substation is currently.

Plaque dedicated this 29th Day of March 2008 (Clamp Year 6013) by the Ancient & Honorable Order of E Clampsus Vitus, Capitulus Redivivus, Yerba Buena Number One.
 
Erected 2008 by E Clampus Vitus - Yerba Buena Number One.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 2008.
 
Location. 37° 27.652′ N, 122° 17.653′ W. Marker is in Woodside, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Cañada Road, ¼ mile south of Edgewood Road, on the
Town of West Union Marker image. Click for full size.
April 24, 2009
2. Town of West Union Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
right when traveling south. Near the Interstate 280 Interchange. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Redwood City CA 94062, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gaspar de Portolá Expedition Campsite (within shouting distance of this marker); Filoli (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ralph D. Percival Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Navy R4D (C-47) Crash (approx. 1.8 miles away); A Monument to Water (approx. 2 miles away); Woodside Store (approx. 2.3 miles away); City of San Carlos Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Pioneer Hotel (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodside.
 
More about this marker. Concrete monument with polished black granite face
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2009, by Wm K. Raven Howland of Belmont, California. This page has been viewed 1,448 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on June 2, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. Photos:   1. submitted on February 9, 2009, by Wm K. Raven Howland of Belmont, California.   2. submitted on April 29, 2009. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=199136

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 7, 2023