Near Ronks in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pennsylvania Railroad No. 6755
The "Mountain" type of locomotive (4-8-2) first appeared on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in 1911. These locomotives excelled at hauling heavy freight trains at high speeds. The Pennsylvania Railroad adopted the M1 design in 1923 with the intention of using it to replace its slower fleet of L1 and II locomotives. Although it was larger than anything the railroad had built previously, the M1 relied on technologies and designs proven in earlier, smaller models.
Originally the M1 was to be used for both freight and passenger service. The entire fleet of M1 locomotives were decorated with the signature "keystone" style number plate typically used for passenger locomotives, rather than the standard round number plate used for freight locomotives. The entire class of locomotive was eventually used exclusively for freight service, owing to the locomotive's ability to accelerate tonnage quickly. M's were a familiar sight all across the railroad on the point of priority freight and express trains from the late 1920's to the end of steam in 1957.
Builder: Pennsylvania RR, Altoona, PA
Build Date: 1930
Retirement Date: January 1957
Wheel Arrangement: 4-8-2 "Mountain"
Class: M1B (Originally M1A)
Number built: 301
Weight of Engine: 385,000 lbs.
Length: (including tender) 109 ft.
Driving Wheel Diameter: 72 in.
Tractive Effort: 69,700 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: Coal: 35.1 tons, Water: 22,090 gal.
Boiler Pressure: 270 psi.
PHMC Catalogue No. RR79.40.12
* Listed on the National
PRR No. 6755 was built in 1930 and ran until 1957, when the Pennsylvania Railroad retired all of its remaining steam locomotives.
In 1953, No. 6755 was rebuilt from a class M1A to M1B. This conversion included an upgrade to a nickel-steel boiler, which increased the boiler pressure to 270 p.s.i., and the addition of firebox circulators. A welded-steel drop-coupler pilot was also added as part of the new "modernized" front end designed to ease maintenance on the front of the locomotive.
This particular M1 is equipped with an oversized "coast-to-coast" tender, which enabled it to cover longer distances between water stops. A brakeman was assigned to the "dog house," a shelter situated on the top of the tender deck, where he would monitor the train's status. The tender itself is also equipped with a water scoop, which allowed the locomotive to take on water without actually stopping at a station. The locomotive would reduce its speed to about 45 miles per hour or less, after which the scoop would be dropped into a water-filled trough called a "track pan."
(Banner at Bottom):
No. 6755 is the largest surviving Pennsylvania Railroad steam locomotive.
Erected by Pennsylvania Railroad Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 58.956′ N, 76° 9.685′ W. Marker was near Ronks, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker could be reached from Gap Road (Pennsylvania Route 741) east of Bishop Road, on the right when traveling east. Was located in front of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 300 Gap Road, Strasburg PA 17579, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Strasburg Rail Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Observation No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Railroad Pump Cars (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); 37 East Main Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); 33 East Main Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); Original Head Race & Water Turbine (approx. 1.9 miles away); Leaman Place Bridge (1893) (approx. 3˝ miles away); Leacock Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ronks.
More about this marker. On the lower left was a photo showing the No. 6755 rests in her retirement at the Pennsylvania's Northumberland roundhouse. On the upper right a photo shows with its long-distance tender, No. 6755 was a tight fit on the turntable. On the lower right is a diagram of the long-distance tender. The long haul or "coast-to-coast" tender was nearly as large as the locomotive itself. Highlighted in blue, the waterscoop allowed water to be picked up on the run from pans between the rails. The automatic stoker, highlighted in yellow, kept the M1's enormous firebox filled with coal.
Also see . . . Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,240 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Better photo of marker. • Can you help?