Bridgeport in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John the Baptizer Catholic Church
Mass was held in different homes of members until money could be raised to build a church. Records indicate that several collections were made from a variety of community members and businesses, Catholics and non-Catholics. In 1908, a small wooden frame church was built on a small lot on Greathouse Street on the west side of the railroad. In 1926, the church was remodeled and the walls were covered. A new church was constructed on October 1, 1967, due to growing membership. In 1969, St. John's became part of the new diocese of Fort Worth.
Over the years, the church has grown with over 650 families registered. The parishioners work to maintain the family atmosphere that is a tradition at St. John's with frequent Sunday luncheons, parish picnics and general social activities.
Pope John Paul II recognized St. John the Baptizer
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18189.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 1, 1967.
Location. 33° 12.961′ N, 97° 44.899′ W. Marker is in Bridgeport, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on Irvin Street, ¼ mile east of 16th Street (State Highway 373), on the left when traveling east. The marker is located at the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1801 Irvin Street, Bridgeport TX 76426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Bridgeport (approx. 0.4 miles away); Republic of Texas' Santa Fe Expedition in Wise County (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church Bridgeport (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bridgeport Lodge No. 587, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bridgeport Coal Mines Toll Bridge & Old Bridgeport (approx. 2½ miles away); George Lafayette Ramsdale (approx. 5.3 miles away); Dr. M. W. Matthews (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgeport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,068 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 17, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.