Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Muncy in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. James Episcopal Church

 
 
St. James Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 16, 2022
1. St. James Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  

St. James, one of the most-studied Gothic Revival small churches, is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.

Erected in 1832, the original house of worship was dismantled in 1856 to make way for the new St. James Episcopal Church.

The original bricks were re-used in the quaint building to the rear of the new church, which is still in use today as a meeting room.

Richard Upjohn, the founder of the American Institute of Architects, designed New York City's Trinity and Boston's Congregational Churches and, in 1858, Muncy's St. James Episcopal Church.

The hard brown stone was quarried and brought from the Montgomery hills, then hauled across the frozen West Branch of the Susquehanna River by sleds.

The two and one-half-story church features a 107-foot tower topped with a hexagonal spire, and a 12-light "St. Catherine's Wheel" window gracing its Main Street façade. Windows by Tiffany Studios decorate the side aisles.

[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
The interior features Minton floor tiles, with Muncy patrons working together to hand make and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
replace original tiles broken during the years.

• The manse is located on South Washington Street, just to the rear of the church.


• St. James Episcopal Church, Muncy, Pa. [vintage postcard]
 
Erected by Muncy Historical Society and Museum of History, PA DCNR, Susquehanna Greenway, et al.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
 
Location. 41° 12.09′ N, 76° 47.153′ W. Marker is in Muncy, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is on Main Street south of Penn Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 South Main Street, Muncy PA 17756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riebsam House (a few steps from this marker); Muncy's Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muncy Normal School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muncy Woolen Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Main and Water Streets (approx. 0.3 miles away); The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); Muncy (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muncy.
 
Also see . . .  St. James Episcopal Church (Muncy, Pennsylvania). Wikipedia
St. James Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 16, 2022
2. St. James Episcopal Church and Marker
entry (Submitted on February 19, 2024, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2024. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200180

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024