Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valparaiso in Porter County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Site of the First School House in Valparaiso 1837

 
 
Site of First School House in Valparaiso 1837 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lou Donkle, June 12, 2022
1. Site of First School House in Valparaiso 1837 Marker
Inscription.  On this site stood the First School House in Valparaiso 1837
 
Erected 1916 by Porter County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 41° 28.123′ N, 87° 3.597′ W. Marker is in Valparaiso, Indiana, in Porter County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Franklin Street, on the right when traveling east on Jefferson Street. Marker is located on the south side of Jefferson Street, 40 feet west of Franklin Street. It sits only a few feet from the curb. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valparaiso IN 46383, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Porter County (Indiana) Veterans (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The story of Orville Redenbacher and Charlie Bowman (about 700 feet away); Porter County Memorial Hall (about 800 feet away); Historical Society of Porter County Old Jail Museum (about 800 feet away); Old Sac Trail
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kirchhoff Park (approx. ¾ mile away); Site of Tassinong (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valparaiso.
 
Regarding Site of the First School House in Valparaiso 1837. This school house was built the second year after the town was named. The town was established in 1836 as Portersville, county seat of Porter County, it was renamed to Valparaiso (meaning "Vale of Paradise" in Old Spanish) in 1837 after Valparaíso, Chile, near which the county's namesake David Porter battled in the Battle of Valparaiso during the War of 1812. Source: Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valparaiso,_Indiana
 
First School House in Valparaiso 1837 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lou Donkle, August 25, 2021
2. First School House in Valparaiso 1837 Marker
First School House in Valparaiso 1837 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lou Donkle, August 25, 2021
3. First School House in Valparaiso 1837 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2022, by Lou Donkle of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2022, by Lou Donkle of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200362

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024