Boonsboro in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cannon of Revolutionary War
forged Mount Aetna, Maryland
Dedicated July 4, 1906
Rededicated July 5, 1992
Charles F. Kauffman, Jr.
Mayor, Town of Boonsboro
Robert J. Shifler, Assistant Mayor Kevin M. Chambers, Councilman Robert W. Gross, Councilman Raymond D. Grove, Councilman Howard W. Long, Councilman Richard E. Hawkins, Councilman Sheila A. Wren, President Park Board Robert L. Phillips, Secretary Gerald F. Metz, Member William R. Henneberger, Member John L. Herr, Member Robert J. Shifler, Liaison Member
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1858.
Location. 39° 30.463′ N, 77° 39.26′ W. Marker is in Boonsboro, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Park Drive, on the right when traveling east. Inside Shafer Park, about a block west of Old National Road/Main Street (Alt US 40). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boonsboro MD 21713, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gravesite of William Boone (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Boys from Boonsboro District The National Road (about 700 feet away); Gettysburg Campaign (about 700 feet away); Boonsboro (about 700 feet away); Washington Monument (approx. half a mile away); Town of Boonsboro (approx. half a mile away); The Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boonsboro.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A Mt. Aetna unfinished cannon on display at the Hager House in Hagerstown.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,784 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.