Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Borger in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

1950 GMC Winch Truck

 
 
1950 GMC Winch Truck Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 7, 2022
1. 1950 GMC Winch Truck Marker
Inscription.  This 1950 GMC winch truck was owned and operated by FORA Oil Co. of Borger. Winch trucks have always been the work horses of the oil patch. They are built to withstand the rigors of the daily use in harsh, demanding conditions. This truck was licensed and worked regularly from 1950 to 1977.

It was later used on a private lease for lifting, hauling and placing equipment until 2014 - and it was donated to the museum to become one of the exhibits in Oil Patch Place in 2018.

Equipped with a winch and "gin" poles used to lift and place equipment, these trucks did most of the heavy work in the oil field. A powerful winch was built into what is known as a "headache" rack just behind the cab. Most winch trucks are custom built by their owners to do work specific to the needs of their company. The headache rack allowed the truck to haul pipe and other long loads which were secured to the rack. The bed on the winch truck was outfitted with heavy duty tool boxes and a rolling tail board to facilitate precise placement and unloading of heavy equipment and tools.

Captions
Lower Left: This truck
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was donated to the museum by local oil man Gary Alexander, whose family owned and operated FORA Oil Co.

 
Erected by Hutchinson County Historical Museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1950.
 
Location. 35° 40.36′ N, 101° 23.371′ W. Marker is in Borger, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Main Street and East 7th Street. The marker is located in the courtyard north of the Hutchinson County Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 618 North Main Street, Borger TX 79007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Auxiliary Equipment from the Early Borger Oil Field (here, next to this marker); The Panhandle Oil Boom & the Borger Field (here, next to this marker); Nitro Storage Safe & Do-It-Yourself Drilling Rig (here, next to this marker); Allis-Chalmers/Cooper Winch Tractor (here, next to this marker); LeRoi Motor-Generator Set (here, next to this marker); Bessemer Gas Engine (here, next to this marker); The Huber Paraffin Scraper (a few steps from this marker); Boomtown (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Borger.
 
The 1950 GMC Winch Truck Marker is the marker on the left of the two markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 7, 2022
2. The 1950 GMC Winch Truck Marker is the marker on the left of the two markers
The 1950 GMC Winch Truck image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 7, 2022
3. The 1950 GMC Winch Truck
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200537

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024