Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clio in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Clio, Alabama

Clio, Alabama Incorporated July 17, 1890

 
 
Clio Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, June 18, 2022
1. Clio Marker
Inscription.  
The Central of Georgia Railroad completed a track spur connecting Eufaula, Alabama and Ozark, Alabama in the spring, 1890. The present site of Clio, Alabama was originally a water station known as Adkison Head. Old Clio was a small settlement with a few established businesses located a few miles east, near Judy Creek. Following the construction of the railroad, the owners of these establishments chose to move neared the tracks for convenience of shipping. The new settlement grew.

According to Barbour County probate records, on the 10th day of June 1890, A group of twenty adult male inhabitants filed a petition for the incorporation of the settlement to be named Clio. The incorporated limits were to extend three-fourths (3/4) of a mile North, South, East, and West from the center of the crossing in said town where the Marianna public road crossed The Elba public road. An additional petition was filed by a group composed of the majority of the owners of the real estate located within these limits. The petitioners are listed below.

Inhabitant Petitions
C. H. Brock A. L. Brock Murphy McRae P.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
B. McRae J. A. Newberry A. D. Card. G. H. Chambers E. G. Murdock A. M. Peach J.T. Cobb Wash Faulk Alex Shaw Peyton Shaw L. F. Lindsay J. L. McInnis J. A. McRae L. Frank McRae P W. Smart C.H. Strickland J. R. Strickland

Property Owner Petitioners
G. H. Chambers J. T. Cobb Frank McRae M. McRae Alex Shaw R. S. Cobb Wash Faulk L. F. Lindsay JL McInnis Peyton Shaw P. W. Smart J.N.Strickland

As a result of the petition, it was ordered, adjudged, and decreed that an election be held in the said town on the 12th day of July, 1890 at the M.A. Martin Store. Twenty five (25) vote were cast for corporation and no vote was cast no corporation.

On the 17th day of July 1890, R. H. Alston, Judge of Probate, Barbour County, Alabama declared the town of Clio, incorporated.
Marker dedicated July 17, 2015
 
Erected 2015 by Clio Historical and Preservation Society (Chaps), the Town of Clio.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 17, 1890.
 
Location. 31° 42.537′ N, 85° 36.643′ W. Marker is in Clio, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on Blue Springs Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map
Clio,Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, June 25, 2022
2. Clio,Alabama Marker
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 Blue Springs St, Clio AL 36017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clio Heritage Mural (here, next to this marker); Barbour County High School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedicated to Memory of African Slaves (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pea River Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Barbour County's "Little Scotland"/Pea River Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Louisville World War II Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fire Bell (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clio.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2024. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2022, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 154 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 24, 2022, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama.   2. submitted on June 26, 2022, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200616

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2024