Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Covington in Tipton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

St. Matthew's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 25, 2022
1. St. Matthew's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location. 35° 33.767′ N, 89° 38.883′ W. Marker is in Covington, Tennessee, in Tipton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Munford Street and West Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Munford Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 S Munford St, Covington TN 38019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Goode (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cadmus Marcellus Wilcox (about 600 feet away); Tipton County Confederate Monument (about 600 feet away); Tipton County in the Civil War (about 700 feet away); Hotel Lindo (about 800 feet away); Isaac Hayes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frances Boyd Calhoun (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.2 miles away); Canaan Missionary Baptist Church History (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
 
Regarding St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
Shortly after Covington, the seat of government of Tipton County, was settled, the Episcopalians in the town organized a congregation; since the early records have been lost, the precise date cannot be determined. Prior to erecting a church in 1855 or '56 on the corner opposite to the present building, the congregation held services in a nearby opera house. On June 28, 1858 Robert I. Mitchell exchanged his lot No. 88, which contained nearly 16,000 square feet, for the lot owned by the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Tennessee and $50; the church which stood on the property acquired by Mitchell was not included in the transaction. The congregation selected J. J. Malone and William P. Malone to erect St. Matthew's Episcopal Church. The cornerstone was laid in 1858, and the new building was probably completed a few months later.
 
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church image. Click for more information.
via NPS, unknown
2. St. Matthew's Episcopal Church
National Register of Historic Places Digital Archive on NPGallery website entry
Click for more information.
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 25, 2022
3. St. Matthew's Episcopal Church Marker
The church is in the Carpenter Gothic style.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 26, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.   2. submitted on June 28, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   3. submitted on June 26, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=200737

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024