Charleston in Tipton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Charleston United Methodist Church and Cemetery
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. 35° 29.725′ N, 89° 30.565′ W. Marker is in Charleston, Tennessee, in Tipton County. Marker is at the intersection of Tennessee Route 179 and Charleston Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 179. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8705 TN-179, Stanton TN 38069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rev. James McFerrin (within shouting distance of this marker); Vineland (approx. 2.8 miles away); Richland (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mt. Carmel Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Wesley (approx. 5.6 miles away); Trinity In The Fields (approx. 5.6 miles away); Bozo's Hot Pit Bar-B-Q (approx. 6.1 miles away); Stanton Masonic Lodge And School (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Regarding Charleston United Methodist Church and Cemetery. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
The church and cemetery are named for their community: Charleston (unincorporated). Charleston is located in Tipton County, which was established in 1823 and named for an early pioneer of the region. The county is largely agricultural because of its fertile soil and level land. Built in 1917, the rural church building was constructed to serve an expanding Methodist community in Tipton County and replace a previous church in poor condition. The first multi-denominational meetinghouse in this community was probably a log cabin located on this site circa 1833. It was most likely on the northwest corner of the church property as evidenced by the oldest graves and trees in this area. The cemetery may be older than the oldest religious building known on this site because of the common practice of conducting outdoor multi-denominational meetings by circuit riders or town leaders before an actual structure was built.
James McFerrin was the first circuit rider for the church. He and his wife, riding the same horse, left Virginia for Rutherford County, Tennessee in 1784. He was a farmer, rifleman, Indian fighter and served with General Jackson in the War of 1812. He converted to Methodism after the war. He spent some
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 26, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 2. submitted on June 28, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.