Griffith in Lake County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Elgin, Joliet, & Eastern Railway Interlocking Tower
(Marker on the left of 2)
The EJ&E interlocking tower stood as a sentinel for more than 75 years, controlling rail and automotive traffic on Broad Street. Improvements in technology and the development of satellites replaced the need for such a building and it was phased out of operation on December 31, 1999.
The General Manager of the EJ&E, Mel Turner - who had given the Griffith Historical Society three railcars in the past - offered to donate the building to the Society provided it was moved to the Griffith Historical Park by the end of July, 2000. The EJ&E along with the Grand Trunk and the Union Pacific Railroads also donated the amount it would cost to demolish the building to the Society.
The remainder of the money needed to move and relocate the tower was raised with the help of Griffith businesses, organizations, citizens, and school children, along with a grant from the National Railway Historical Society.
The tower was moved on July 20, 2000, and in June, 2004, the building was dedicated as the "Griffith Centennial Tower" in honor of the town's 100th birthday. The upper level was then dedicated as the "Joe Miller
The Griffith Historical Park is owned and operated by the Griffith Historical Society.
This 2017 Griffith Historical Park dual commemorative project was sponsored by the Griffith Neighborhood Spotlight through a grant funded by the Legacy Foundation of Lake County, In. and volunteer construction resources generously donated by members of B.S.A Troop 264 Leaders & scouts/Griffith Lutheran Church, the Bricklayers & Allied Crafters, Local 4, In/Ky, Griffith In.
Erected 2017 by Griffith Historical Society. (Marker Number 03000980.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 41° 31.255′ N, 87° 25.652′ W. Marker is in Griffith, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of East Avenue A and South Broad Street, on the right when traveling east on East Avenue A. Marker is near the corner in front of the small depot building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffith IN 46319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Griffith's Grand Trunk Depot Museum (here, next to this marker); Ray Nichels (approx. ¼ mile away); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 3 miles away); Lincoln Highway - Ideal Section - 1923 (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section" (approx. 3½ miles away); St. John Township School District #2 (approx. 3.8 miles away); First Physician (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffith.
More about this marker. Marker is part of a dual commemorative project and is displayed next to a marker for the Grand Trunk Depot.
Also see . . . Interlocking Towers, Protecting "Blocks" Of Railroad. American Rails website entry (Submitted on July 6, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2022, by Lou Donkle of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 27, 2022, by Lou Donkle of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.