Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Rotary Centennial Monument
This monument commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Rotary Club of Lebanon Ohio's founding. Establishing the club in 1920 was not easy. Lebanon was rejected twice by Rotary International because the village did not meet the requirement that communities with Rotary Clubs have a minimum of 5,000 inhabitants.
After a visit to Rotary headquarters in Chicago by a Lebanon delegate, and Rotary representatives coming to Lebanon two separate times, a Rotary Club charter was finally granted November 20, 1920. The 25 charter members of the Rotary Club of Lebanon had convinced club leaders they already practiced the Rotary Club motto "Service Above Self." A nationwide press release was sent stating, "Lebanon has the distinction and honor of being the smallest city in the world in which Rotary is established."
The first Rotary Club was formed in Chicago February 23, 1905, by attorney Paul P. Harris and three business acquaintances. Today there are more than 35,000 clubs and 1.2 million members around the world. Rotary Club members work locally, regionally, and internationally to combat hunger, improve health
Rotary Clubs do all this because their members believe whole-heartedly in the club's second motto "One profits most who serves best."
This commemorative marker sits on one of the four corners of Lebanon's town square that were created in September 1802. From 1804 to 1807 it was the site of Warren County's first jail, a 24 feet x 16 feet two-story log cabin.
"This monument was erected in 2020 to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the Rotary Club of Lebanon Ohio #3635"
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
Topics and series. This historical marker and monument is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 23, 1905.
Location. 39° 26.014′ N, 84° 12.516′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broadway Street (U.S. 42) and West Main Street (Ohio Route 48/63), on the left when traveling north on South Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 S Broadway St, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Golden Lamb (a few steps from this marker); a Golden Lamb (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Golden Lamb (a few steps from this marker); The Town Square / City Hall Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village Ice Cream Parlor (within shouting distance of this marker); Icabod Corwin (within shouting distance of this marker); The First School Built In The Miami Valley (within shouting distance of this marker); The National Normal University (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on June 30, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 21, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.