Wyalusing in Bradford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wyalusing's Lodge Hall
This edifice was known for much of its existence as the Odd Fellows Hall because it belonged for decades to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF). In more recent years it was known simply as the Lodge Hall because occupants have included Odd Fellows, Grangers, GAR, Eastern Star and Masons.
However, it did not belong to the Odd Fellows until 1877 when it was purchased by the IOOF's Local Hall Association. The IOOF has been in Wyalusing since 1854, and its members would meet across the street from this location in what was known as the Keeler Block. The earliest published reference to this building was in a July 1872 newspaper article when it was identified as being on the Hallock Block. Later that same year Hallock became the owner of the building, purchasing it from Churchwell Vanosdoll and his wife Julliet. Four years later in 1876, according to assessment records, the new owner was identified as Mix & Company after being transferred from Hallock. And it was a year after that when the Odd Fellows would take ownership, continuing in that role for more than 100 years, although there were a variety of other occupants on those
What is known about "The Lodge Hall after the Odd Fellows is the following:
1885 IOOF Hall and a jewelry store are identified on the Sanborn (national fire insurance) Map. Over the subsequent years they also shared the Hall with the Grange, GAR and Eastern Star.
1887 The first meeting of the Borough Council and appointment of its first members was held here with the formal incorporation of Wyalusing Borough.
1887 On the heels of the borough's incorporation, jail is instituted in the basement.
1891 Second Presbyterian Church rents hall for services until its Church Street building is erected.
1894 A garage is built on the side of the building for Wyalusing's first fire company where equipment and ladder truck are housed.
1980 On March 5, the White Lily Lodge #808 requests to consolidate with Laceyville Lodge #439; on March 12 it is forwarded to the Grand Lodge and formally consolidated on April 30.
1981 On April 11 IOOF's Grand Lodge approves sale to the Wyalusing Masonic Lodge #618; IOOF Fellows furnishings are removed from building as Masons move in.
1993 On April 22, the Masons pay off the mortgage in full.
2015 In December, the Wyalusing Masons, joining with the Towanda Lodge,
[Photo captions, left to right, read]
This is a view of the Lodge Hall in the distant past, looking south on Church Street from the village square.
The year is believed to be 1894 and the Wyalusing Hook & Ladder Company is shown in front of the building, which is on the left with the fire company garage on the right. Not only did it serve as the central fire station, but the basement served as a jail and it was the meeting place of the first town council.
This old safe from the 1800's serves as a reminder of the presence of the International Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.), which had a presence in Wyalusing since before the Civil War. The Odd Fellows met here for years, subsequently purchasing this building in 1877 on behalf of the White Lily Lodge.
Erected by Bradford County Room Tax Fund, Endless Mountains Visitors Bureau, and Others.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 5, 1877.
Location. 41° 40.036′ N, 76° 15.655′ W. Marker is in Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on Church Street (Pennsylvania Route 706) 0.1 miles north of State Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 158 Church Street, Wyalusing PA 18853, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Wyalusing Borough Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wyalusing (approx. half a mile away); Sullivan Expedition Against the Iroquois Indians 1779 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Friedenshuetten (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sullivan's March (approx. 1½ miles away); Landscapes of Conservation (approx. 1.8 miles away); Communities Connected by Water (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wyalusing.
Also see . . .
1. Wyalusing Borough History. (Submitted on June 30, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Independent Order of Odd Fellows History. (Submitted on June 30, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2022, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.