Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Crawford Woods

 
 
Crawford Woods Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, June 25, 2022
1. Crawford Woods Marker
Inscription.  Crawford Woods was the country estate of the Crawford family for nearly 125 years and a popular location for family picnics and Sunday School outings for East Hamilton residents for decades before it became a multiple-use Hamilton park. The 10-room Crawford house with four fireplaces was known as Forest Cottage. The house, built about 1835, was constructed with stones from nearby fields and streams and bricks molded and kilned from clay found on the land. It was occupied by three generations, starting with David Crawford and his wife, Jeannette Giffen Crawford. Later, it was the home of their son, David M. Crawford, and their grandson, William C. Crawford, who died in 1948 at the age of 79. In 1948, about 58 acres were conveyed for park and recreation use to the city by Robert Crawford Falconer and Mary E. Cavanaugh, heirs of William C. Crawford. Part of the land was available immediately to the city; the remainder, including the house, in 1958 upon the death of Miss Cavanaugh. The house was restored in 1967 and was the headquarters for MetroParks of Butler County for more than 30 years.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
lists: Parks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 39° 23.009′ N, 84° 32.229′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Hancock Avenue north of Bender Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2300 Hancock Ave, Hamilton OH 45011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warren Gard (approx. 1.3 miles away); Pilgrim Baptist Church / A Beacon of Light for Over a Hundred Years (approx. 1˝ miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Hamilton Civil War Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Beckett Homesite (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Hollow Earth Monument (approx. 1˝ miles away); Symmes Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); Cosmopolitan No. 4 (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Crawford Woods Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, June 25, 2022
2. Crawford Woods Marker
Crawford Woods Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, June 25, 2022
3. Crawford Woods Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201354

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 5, 2024