Ironwood in Gogebic County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Miners Memorial Heritage Park
Norrie Mine: The A Shaft
— "The Big Norrie" —
In the summer of 1882, A. Lanfear Norrie led an iron ore expedition in the far western Upper Peninsula. He and his crew set up camp along the Montreal River at what is now Ironwood. Captain James "Iron” Wood, the namesake of Ironwood and the foreman of Norrie's expedition, discovered iron ore at what would become the Norrie Mine in September of 1882. This discovery led to the development of the Norrie Mine and began the permanent settlement of Ironwood. The iron ore potential of the area influenced the Milwaukee, Lake Shore, and Western Railroad to build a railroad from Watersmeet to Ironwood, and then to the dock in Ashland in two short years. The first shipment of ore from the Norrie Mine to the dock in Ashland was in 1885.
A Major Iron Ore Producer
The Norrie Mine was the largest iron ore producer on the Gogebic Range. In 1892, the mine shipped 985,044 tons of iron ore, which was over three times more than the second highest producer on the Gogebic Range. It was the first mine in the Upper Peninsula to produce over one million tons in a year. In 1905, the Norrie Mine became
• The A Shaft's Location: West of this sign in the pine woods under concrete slabs.
• Year the A Shaft was built: 1900.
• Depth: 1,990 feet in 1909.
• Angle of shaft: 58 degrees.
• Dimensions: 6 feet by 22 feet.
• First shaft to be lined with steel sets.
• Headframe height: 78 feet and 8 inches.
• Number of known fatalities in all shafts of the Norrie Mine: 43 men
• Largest accident in the A Shaft: • Cave-in on May, 13th 1912
• Eight miners were killed. • Five miners survived after being trapped for over 24 hours.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is May 13, 1912.
Location. 46° 26.996′ N, 90° 9.761′ W. Marker is in Ironwood, Michigan, in Gogebic County. Marker is on Beech Street north of East Houk Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ironwood MI 49938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At Commemorating the Iron Ore Industry (a few steps from this marker); Hiawatha (within shouting distance of this marker); Curry House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Italians on the Gogebic Iron Range (approx. half a mile away); Ironwood City Hall (approx. half a mile away); Penokee Iron Range Trail – Historic Iron County Courthouse (approx. one mile away in Wisconsin); This 5 ˝ Foot Diameter Drill Core (approx. one mile away in Wisconsin); Norrie Park (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ironwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2022, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 121 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2022, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.