Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houghton in Houghton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Historic Houghton

Northwest corner of Shelden & Isle Royale streets

— Shelden-Dee, Early 1900s —

 
 
Historic Houghton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel
1. Historic Houghton Marker
Inscription.  Commissioned by prominent Houghton residents Mary Shelden and James R. Dee, the Shelden-Dee building is one of the key architectural landmarks of central Houghton. It was built in 1899-1900 for an estimated $75,000 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Constructed of Jacobsville sandstone with elaborately carved doorways, the Shelden-Dee provided elegant commercial and office space in the prosperous downtown.
Initially home to a drug store, shoe store, dry goods, café, and saloon, the large front windows and prismatic glass transoms above helped project sunlight into the back of the street level stores.
A barbershop operated out of the basement and the upper floors contained office suites which were leased well before construction was complete. Today, the upstairs offices are residential apartments.
 
Erected by Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 47° 7.315′ N, 88° 34.028′ W. Marker is in Houghton,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Michigan, in Houghton County. Marker is at the intersection of Shelden Street (U.S. 41) and Isle Royale Street, on the right when traveling west on Shelden Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houghton MI 49931, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hotels and Saloons (within shouting distance of this marker); Clubs and Associations (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Municipal and Cultural Activities (about 300 feet away); Grace Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Houghton (about 500 feet away); The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey (about 500 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Growth and Change (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houghton.
 
Historic Houghton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel
2. Historic Houghton Marker
Marker is attached to decorative light pole.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2022, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2022, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201465

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024