Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old School and Telegraph Office

 
 
Old School and Telegraph Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 3, 2022
1. Old School and Telegraph Office Marker
Inscription.  The U.S. Army first built the eastern end of the oldest remaining school building to house Western Union telegraph station. The remainder of the building was constructed and used as one-room school house with 18 students and teacher Jessie Williams. It is believed that this is the fourth school house to be constructed in the community. When the army left, the entire building became the school. It was roughly furnished with long rows of benches and slate boards for the students.

Captions
Lower Left: Students attending class circa 1900-1910
Middle Right: First Telegraph and only school until 1907
 
Erected by Historic Ft. Stockton Driving Tour. (Marker Number 11.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsEducationForts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
 
Location. 30° 52.909′ N, 102° 52.823′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is at the intersection of West Gallagher Street and South Nelson Street, on the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
left when traveling west on West Gallagher Street. The marker is located at the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 West Gallagher Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Telegraph Office & School (a few steps from this marker); Fort Stockton (within shouting distance of this marker); Pecos County Korea and Vietnam Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Pecos County's Contribution 1917 - to the World War - 1919 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pecos County World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldest House (about 300 feet away); Historic Old Jail (about 300 feet away); Site of Fort Stockton (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
 
Also see . . .  Old School and Army Telegraph Office. Fort Stockton Convention & Visitors Bureau (Submitted on July 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Old School and Telegraph Office and Marker from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 3, 2022
2. The view of the Old School and Telegraph Office and Marker from across the street
The Old School and Telegraph Office building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 3, 2022
3. The Old School and Telegraph Office building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201502

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024