Near New Market in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of New Market
May 15, 1864
— Shenandoah Valley Circle Tour —
Erected 1966 by Virginia Civil War Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 14, 1864.
Location. 38° 39.739′ N, 78° 39.782′ W. Marker is near New Market, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on Old Valley Turnpike (U.S. 11) north of New Market, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Market VA 22844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Battle of New Market (here, next to this marker); 54th Pennsylvania Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Battle of New Market (approx. ¼ mile away); “Good-bye, Lieutenant, I am killed.” (approx. ¼ mile away); This Rustic Pile (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bushong Farm (approx. 0.3 miles away); Heroism in Defeat (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of New Market (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
More about this marker. One of the series of Shenandoah Valley Circle Tour markers. There is a small gravel area where you can pull off the road to read these markers. Beyond the fence is the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park, but to reach the park you need to go south to New Market and
Also see . . . The Battle of New Market. by Joseph W. A. Whitehorne, Center of Military History, United States Army, Washington, D.C., 1988 (Submitted on September 29, 2006.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2006. This page has been viewed 2,121 times since then and 89 times this year. Last updated on July 7, 2022. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.