Perryton in Ochiltree County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Gray Community Church
Settlers established Gray, Beaver Co., Okla., in the 1900s. Rev. J. W. Duff of Enid, Okla., organized a church in Jan. 1915 and became the first minister. Lumber came from Liberal, Kan., and the Ladies Aid Society raised funds to buy an organ, pews, and carpeting. Revivals and a dedication on Oct. 3, 1915, increased membership from 11 to 122. The Santa Fe Railway built between Gray and Ochiltree, Texas in 1919, creating Perryton. Most houses and buildings were moved by horse and mule teams or steam tractors south to the new townsite. The town’s only church remained and for decades was both a viable congregation and an attraction for travelers, with a blue neon cross declaring that “Jesus Saves.” In 2002, members decided to move the church to Perryton.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18095.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1915.
Location. 36° 24.641′ N, 100° 48.124′ W. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 North Main Street, Perryton TX 79070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ochiltree County (within shouting distance of this marker); Plainview Hardware Company Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); George Morgan Perry (approx. 1.1 miles away); Colonel William B. Ochiltree (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Blasingame Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ochiltree Townsite (approx. 9 miles away); Ochiltree Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away); Sheriff James Sidney Talley (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perryton.
More about this marker. The marker is in the office of the Museum of the Plains. A dedication and installation of the marker is planned for the summer of 2016.
Regarding Gray Community Church. In 2003, the Gray Community Church was moved to the Museum of The Plains. The church was about to be abandoned because the few existing members could no longer take care of the church.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 711 times since then and 213 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. 2. submitted on March 31, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.