Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

B'Nai Abraham Synagogue

 
 
B'Nai Abraham Synagogue Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 16, 2021
1. B'Nai Abraham Synagogue Marker
Inscription.  

This property is the former site of the B'Nai Abraham Synagogue, which was built in 1893 for one of the first orthodox congregations in Texas, founded in 1885. The Synagogue served the community of Brenham, observing strict Hebrew worship with segregation of men and women, no instrumental music, dietary laws, and total historic prayer book adherence. In January 2015, the Synagogue building was moved to Austin, Texas to be known as the B'Nai Abraham-Brenham's Historic Synagogue, where daily and Sabbath services are to be observed. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark, 1965.
 
Erected 1990 by National Register of Historic Places. (Marker Number 90000464.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 2015.
 
Location. 30° 10.133′ N, 96° 23.91′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on North Park Street, 0.1 miles north of East Vulcan Street, on the right when traveling north. The Synagogue building has been moved and the lot is empty. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Park Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Washington County, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away); Washington County All Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Washington County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); KTTX/KWHI Building (about 700 feet away); The Brenham Maifest (about 700 feet away); Texas Confederate County Commissioners Court (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
 
Also see . . .  B'nai Abraham Synagogue. The B'nai Abraham congregation in Brenham was organized in 1885. Original Jewish settlers in the county included B. Levinson, who arrived in 1861, and the Alex Simon family, which arrived in 1866. These men became active in the business community of Brenham, and as other Jewish settlers arrived, the need for a synagogue grew.  Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
B'Nai Abraham Synagogue Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 16, 2021
2. B'Nai Abraham Synagogue Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201808

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024