Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cotton Gin in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Ghost Town of Cotton Gin

 
 
Ghost Town of Cotton Gin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 25, 2021
1. Ghost Town of Cotton Gin Marker
Inscription.  

Settled prior to 1848, when Dr. J.S. Wills established a mule-drawn Gin here. Post Office was founded in 1851, the year county was organized. Dr. Wills gave a block of land for courthouse, but voters declined to make Cotton Gin the county seat.

Town had 3 churches, a good school, a newspaper, a Masonic Lodge, stores and saloons.

In the 1870's when Houston & Texas Central Railroad built a few miles to the west, business interests left here. Cotton Gin illustrates fate of hundreds of early Texas towns, by-passed by railroads, highways and industry.
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9870.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 31° 40.84′ N, 96° 21.596′ W. Marker is in Cotton Gin, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is on County Highway 930, 0.2 miles east of Farm to Market Road 1366, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Teague TX 75860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cotton Gin Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Oak Island Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Shanks Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Llewellyn Notley (approx. 5˝ miles away); William Rufus Boyd, Jr. (approx. 5˝ miles away); Town of Teague (approx. 5.8 miles away); The “Boll Weevil” Railway (approx. 5.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Teague (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cotton Gin.
 
Also see . . .  Cotton Gin, TX.
Cotton Gin, on Farm Road 1366 twelve miles west of Fairfield in western Freestone County, was established in 1848 near the site of a mule-powered cotton gin built by Dr. James S. Wills. Wills constructed the first store in the community and served as postmaster when the post office was established in 1851.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
Ghost Town of Cotton Gin Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 25, 2021
2. Ghost Town of Cotton Gin Marker
The view of the Ghost Town of Cotton Gin Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 25, 2021
3. The view of the Ghost Town of Cotton Gin Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201826

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024