Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Land Office

 
 
Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
1. Land Office Marker
Inscription.  
Oldest building in Northwest Territory. From 1788 Gen. Rufus Putnam recorded war veteran land grants and sales. Maintained Ohio Company surveys and maps.

The Rotary Club of Marietta
Marking a Place in History with Service Since 1921

 
Erected by The Rotary Club of Marietta.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1788.
 
Location. 39° 25.298′ N, 81° 27.708′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is on the west grounds of the Campus Martius Museum (601 Second Street), along St. Clair Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The American Union Lodge No. 1 Free and Accepted Masons (within shouting distance of this marker); The Northwest Ordinance, 1787 / The Ohio Company Purchase (within shouting distance of this marker); Campus Martius (within
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
shouting distance of this marker); Rufus Putnam Well (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Campus Martius (within shouting distance of this marker); Merydith House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steam Towboat "W. P. Snyder, Jr." (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Families of the Ohio Company (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Also see . . .  Campus Martius Museum. National Park Service website entry (Submitted on March 16, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
2. Land Office Marker
Looking southeast toward the Land Office building.
Land Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 30, 2009
3. Land Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 858 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20183

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024