Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moscow in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Moscow

 
 
Moscow Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, September 6, 2010
1. Moscow Marker
Inscription.  

Settled by David Green, during era of the Republic of Texas. First post office established under name of Green's in 1847. Changed to Moscow in 1853.

Incorporated in 1856. Was stage stop on the Nacogdoches - Liberty Road. Site of several famous schools. Has had free school system since 1851.

A cannery for vegetables and fruit and Bible column factory (making architectural pillars) were early industries. In 1881 became important railroad town. Its seven-mile Moscow, Camden & San Augustine is one of the shortest railroads in Texas.
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10413.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 30° 55.188′ N, 94° 49.655′ W. Marker is in Moscow, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 350 and Loop Route 177, on the right when traveling west on Road 350. The marker is located about 0.25 mile west of US 59. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moscow TX 75960, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Texas Statesman William Pettus Hobby (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moscow Male and Female Academy (about 700 feet away); E.C. Matthews Home (about 800 feet away); John Wesley Hardin (1853-1895) (approx. 4 miles away); Town of Corrigan (approx. 5˝ miles away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 11 miles away); Whitehead Home (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moscow.
 
Moscow Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, September 6, 2010
2. Moscow Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 932 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201861

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024