Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Bear Creek Texas Ranger Camp

(300 yards south)

 
 
Old Bear Creek Texas Ranger Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, May 15, 2012
1. Old Bear Creek Texas Ranger Camp Marker
Inscription.  

Established October 1877 as patrol base for Co. E, Frontier Battalion, Texas Rangers, on the lookout for Indians and outlaws along the Llano River. Area was popular refuge for cattle and horse thieves, murderers, mail robbers—and within a few weeks many were captured by the unit of 30 men commanded by Lt. N. O. Reynolds. The Rangers in 1878 helped fight off one of the last Indian raids in the area.

Ranger protection given from this camp (used until mid-1880s) opened the way for peaceful settlement in Kimble and nearby counties.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3636.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1877.
 
Location. 30° 31.274′ N, 99° 49.39′ W. Marker is near Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is on Ranch to Market Road 1674, 1.2 miles west of County Route 271, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Campsite of Marques de Rubi, 1767 (here, next to this marker); Pioneer - North Llano Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Speer (approx. 3 miles away); First Court in Kimble County (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Killing of Sam Speer (approx. 3.2 miles away); Marvin E. and Retta Ann Blackburn House (approx. 3½ miles away); Brambletye (approx. 3½ miles away); Junction School Campus (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
 
Old Bear Creek Texas Ranger Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, May 15, 2012
2. Old Bear Creek Texas Ranger Camp Marker
Marker is one on right.
Bear Creek image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, May 15, 2012
3. Bear Creek
View south of Bear Creek from Ranch Road 1674 bridge. The mouth of Bear Creek as it empties into the North Llano River is just 1/3 of a mile south of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201869

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024