Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church

Of Hamilton

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 16, 2021
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  

Outgrowth of earliest known religious work in this county-preaching by Baptist elder D.S. Babb, 1867-73. Organized in 1873. Known charter members: Col. G.R. Freeman, S.C. Messer, J.P. Murphree, Mrs. Elizabeth Rice, Capt. A.H. Watson, and W.B. West. The first pastor was the Rev. Dave White.

In 1874 joined the Leon River Baptist Association, to which in 1875 its 18 members gave $12. After meeting in Capt. Watson's box schoolhouse (305 E. Henry), the courthouse, and the Presbyterian sanctuary, members in 1896 built a native stone church. Present structure was erected in 1971.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1639.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 31° 42.116′ N, 98° 7.409′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Texas, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Bell Street and East Coke Street, on the left when traveling south on South Bell Street. The marker is located on the wall next to the Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 South Bell Street, Hamilton TX 76531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Perry National Bank (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eidson-Rice Building (about 500 feet away); Rice Building (about 600 feet away); Rice-Eidson Building (about 600 feet away); Elise Waerenskjold (about 700 feet away); Ann Whitney (about 700 feet away); Hamilton Bank and Trust Company (about 700 feet away); Hamilton County Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
The First Baptist Church Marker near the church office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 16, 2021
2. The First Baptist Church Marker near the church office
The view of the First Baptist Church from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 16, 2021
3. The view of the First Baptist Church from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201883

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024