Port Arthur in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Clubhouse of the Federated Women’s Clubs of Port Arthur
In 1923, twenty-five years after their founding, the Port Arthur Federated Women's Clubs began planning for construction of their own clubhouse. Mrs. C. L. Wignall chaired the planning committee, and her husband, local architect C. L. Wignall, designed the structure. His plans included a decorative window motif repeated in the porch balustrade. An open house on Feb. 8, 1924 celebrated the completion of the clubhouse. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10515.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations.
Location. 29° 52.91′ N, 93° 55.359′ W. Marker is in Port Arthur, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Lakeshore Drive near Lake Charles Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Located at the southern terminus of Lake Charles Ave. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1924 Lakeshore Dr, Port Arthur TX 77640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federated Women's Clubs Of Port Arthur (within shouting distance Pompeiian Villa (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ellwood - Craig House (about 400 feet away); Vuylsteke House (about 500 feet away); John Warne Gates (about 700 feet away); Ruby Ruth Fuller Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Port Arthur College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gates Memorial Library (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Arthur.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.