Shady Dale in Jasper County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Providence Baptist Church
Charter members were: Jacob Mercer (Revolutionary War soldier) and his wife, Jael; Martin Stanley and his wife, Polly; James Brown and his wife, Martha; Elizabeth Green; Rebecca Walden; John Ferrell; Elkaney Denson; Joshua Newton; James Richards.
First Deacons were Martin Stanley and James Brown. First Clerk was James Richards. Early pastors were James Henderson, James Wilkerson, John Bogan, James Green, James Carter, W.G. Horsley, Asa Marshall (great-grandson of Daniel Marshall, founder of Kiokee Church in Columbia County, the first Baptist Church in Georgia).
Erected 1957 by
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1714.
Location. 33° 23.814′ N, 83° 35.466′ W. Marker is in Shady Dale, Georgia, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and Machen Street, on the left when traveling south on Railroad Street. Marker is located by the church, at the edge of the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shady Dale GA 31085, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shady Dale (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Stage Coach Inn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pennington (approx. 6 miles away); Godfrey (approx. 6.6 miles away); WWII B-25C Airplane Crash (approx. 7.1 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Reese Home (approx. 8.3 miles away); Jasper County (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shady Dale.
1. Providence Baptist Church, Shady Dale, Ga.
Rev. David Montgomery--1st pastor of the Providence Baptist Ch., lived in the extant house right outside Newborn (New Berne), Ga. It was purchased by the
— Submitted September 27, 2010, by James M. Hurst of Watkinsville, Ga..
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,516 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.