San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Belvin Street Historic District
This street was named in 1876 for the Rev. R.H. Belvin president of Coronal Institute, 1870-1875. San Marcos, founded in 1845, was acquiring better architecture by the 1870s. This district now (1976) retains historic structures: the Belvin home, built 1875; the O.T. Brown house, 1878; the houses of J.S. Davis and S.R. Kone Jr., built 1886; Mrs. A.J. Woods home, 1888; the homes of J.F. McGeheer, H.G. Talmadge and E.L Thomas, 1889; the J.L. Malone house, 1891; the Joe Earnest house, 1892; the G.T. McGehee house, 1895; also in this district are distinctive houses of the early 1900s
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10237.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 29° 52.841′ N, 97° 56.985′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is at the intersection of Belvin Street and Scott Street, on the right when traveling west on Belvin Street. The marker is located along the north side of Belvin Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. National Register District of Belvin Street (within shouting distance of this marker); O.T. Brown Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Eliza Pitts Malone (within shouting distance of this marker); George Thomas McGehee House (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Hixon Belvin Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Henry Talmadge Home (about 500 feet away); Alexander Gates & Lillian Johnson Thomas House (about 500 feet away); Joseph W. Earnest Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
More about this marker. There is a duplicate marker on the west end of the historic district on Belvin Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.