Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Macedonia Baptist Church

 
 
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  

The earliest worship services of this congregation were held in 1881 under a back yard arbor at the home of Matilda Lewis. Nine families, including those of Robert Lewis, W. Stevenson, Wiley Cleaveland, George Ross, Esaw Beard, Kissiah Jefferson, Anna Akes, Julia Gaines, and Emma Moore, were involved with the church’s organization. The congregation called the Rev. Mr. Shivers as its first pastor.

When the need for a more permanent church home became evident, trustees Robert Lewis, W. Stevenson, and George Ross selected this site upon which to build a sanctuary. The small frame structure was used by Macedonia church members until a new building was erected in 1914. Additional facilities have been constructed as needed over the years.

Affiliated with the La Grange Baptist District Association since 1885, Macedonia Baptist church has hosted district meetings several times. Many of the association’s leaders throughout the years have been members of this congregation.

An important part of the religious heritage of Georgetown, the Macedonia Baptist church continues to be a source of strength and service for the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
community.
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15185.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 30° 38.453′ N, 97° 40.867′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Drive and W. 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Martin Luther King Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 Martin Luther King Dr, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Marshall-Carver High School (about 400 feet away); Old Georgetown Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Railroad Produce Warehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Williamson County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emzy Taylor (approx. 0.3 miles away); M.B. Lockett Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chief Justice John Edward Hickman (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Macedonia Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
2. Macedonia Baptist Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,651 times since then and 137 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201927

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024