Sinton in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Courthouses of San Patricio County
Eight structures have served as the seat of local government for the people of San Patricio County since its earliest settlement. A building known as the "Log Courthouse" was constructed in San Patricio in the early 1830s to serve the people of the San Patricio colony, although the county of San Patricio was not created until 1837.
County records reveal that court was held in a new frame courthouse in 1853. Sometime prior to the Civil War, construction began on a stone courthouse, but it was never completed due to the unsettled times of the war. Records show that many local residents used stones from the construction site to build chimneys for their homes.
In 1872 a new courthouse was completed. Built by Viggo Kohler, it housed court for the first time on July 15. Two jury rooms, added to opposite sides of the courthouse square in 1876, served as a temporary courthouse after a fire in 1889 destroyed the 1872 building.
After an election in 1894 resulted in the county seat's relocation to Sinton, a courthouse was built here by Otto P. Kroeger. It was replaced by a new structure in 1927.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics.
Location. 28° 2.212′ N, 97° 30.903′ W. Marker is in Sinton, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is at the intersection of West Sinton Street (State Highway 188) and North Odem Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Sinton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 W Sinton St, Sinton TX 78387, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Sinton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plymouth Oil Company and Plymouth Oilers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Odem Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 7.3 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 7.3 miles away); Odem Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 7.3 miles away); Welder Ranch (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sinton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 90 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. 2. submitted on May 20, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 3. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.