Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Columbus Waterworks

 
 
Columbus Waterworks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
1. Columbus Waterworks Marker
Inscription.  In 1824 the Mexican government granted to Elizabeth Tumlinson and her heirs the land and water rights to this area in the center of Stephen F. Austin's colony. The town of Columbus developed from a small frontier community. A fire in May 1883 destroyed a livery stable and hotel, threatening downtown Columbus to such a degree that the city council was spurred to action. The Commissioners Court erected a water tower on the courthouse square and a brick pump well based on Spring Street. A water main with seven hydrants was laid around the business district that year and by December 1883 the city organized a fire department. Despite the fact that the water from the Colorado River was processed through a filter before it was carried along the pipes to the citizens of Columbus, it was not always suitable for drinking. The city of Columbus contracted for an artesian well in September 1890. Work on the well was difficult and completion took six months because of several delays. The project was nearly abandoned. In 1909 there were about 100 consumers of the water from Columbus' public water well, which could hold about five hundred gallons at a time
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and was cut off each night. The river water was considered unfit for drinking. The city installed meters at this time. By 1912 the city faced a water shortage. A new steel tower and reservoir were erected, though citizens continued to value the artesian well for its purported purity and medicinal properties well into the 1930s.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18882.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1883.
 
Location. 29° 42.326′ N, 96° 32.272′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Spring Street, on the right when traveling north on Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Townsend-Koliba House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stage Lines Through Columbus (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (about 400 feet away); Joseph V. Frnka (about 500 feet away); District Court Tree (about 500 feet away); Columbus Oak (about 500 feet away); Asa Townsend (about 500 feet away); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Columbus Waterworks image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
2. Columbus Waterworks
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 919 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201952

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 14, 2024