Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grapevine in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Rose Station

 
 
Rose Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis, June 17, 2016
1. Rose Station Marker
Inscription.  Wm. B. Rose, in 1875, a mile east; built an adobe stage station on the site of the Overland Mail Way Station established 1858. From 1853 to 1875 site was known as Rancho Canoa (trough). Originally vaquero camp of the Sebastian Indian Reservation. Rose Station was a stockmen's headquarters, post office, and polling place.
 
Erected 1941 by Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West; Kern County Historical Society; and Kern County Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 300.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceLandmarksNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1957.
 
Location. 34° 56.483′ N, 118° 55.955′ W. Marker is in Grapevine, California, in Kern County. Marker is on Grapevine Road West near Interstate 5. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9032 Grapevine Road West, Lebec CA 93243, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this
Sebastian Indian Reservation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle
2. Sebastian Indian Reservation Marker
This marker is on the left, Sebastian Indian Reservation marker is on the right. Interstate 5 can be seen in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker, measured as the crow flies. Sebastian Indian Reservation (a few steps from this marker); Peter Lebec (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fort Tejon (approx. 5.1 miles away); Camel Trail Terminus (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Camels of Fort Tejon (approx. 5.2 miles away); Peter Lebeck (approx. 5.2 miles away); Camel Brigade (approx. 5.2 miles away); Don Pedro Fages (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
Regarding Rose Station. This site was designated California Historical Landmark No. 300 on May 1, 1939.
 
Rose Station Marker image. Click for full size.
November 22, 2020
3. Rose Station Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,964 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 16, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.   2. submitted on June 22, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   3. submitted on December 7, 2020.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20196

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 3, 2023