Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monahans in Ward County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Monahan's Well

 
 
Monahan's Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, March 21, 2021
1. Monahan's Well Marker
Inscription.  

In 1881, the surveyor in charge of the Texas & Pacific Railroad, Thomas John (Pat) Monahan, had hopes of discovering a water supply for trains passing through the western plains. Frustrated with the delays and costs of transporting water from Big Spring to the railroad crews, he stopped in a town, later known as Monahans, and dug a well. He hit water.

Later that year, well construction continued and Monahan's well was eventually 53 feet deep, 18 feet in diameter and had 20 feet of inflowing water. The town set up a pump station and installed two water tanks. Not only did Monahan's well supply the town and passing trains with water, but it also carried gypsum, which the town mined and shipped to eastern markets for fertilizer production. By the 1890s, Monahan built a grocery store, general store, boarding house and hotel, for prospectors and land agents. Over the years, the town of Monahans developed as a hub for the ranching, farming and oil industries in the west Texas region.

Although the surrounding town was originally named Trueheart and the land around the railroad was called Monahan's Well, by 1891, the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Post Office dropped both names and established the whole region as Monahans. As electric wells came to replace older wells in the 1930s, the well was eventually filled with gravel. However, the discovery of water in Monahans was integral in opening the western plains to railroad expansion.
 
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 19985.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 31° 35.683′ N, 102° 53.573′ W. Marker is in Monahans, Texas, in Ward County. Marker is at the intersection of East Sealy Avenue (Business Interstate 20) and North Main Avenue (State Highway 18), on the right when traveling west on East Sealy Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monahans TX 79756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Holman Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christ The King Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Monahans Sandhills State Park and Museum (approx. 5 miles away); Willow Springs (approx. 8.8 miles away); Ward County (approx. 11 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Monahans, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online
Monahan's Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, March 21, 2021
2. Monahan's Well Marker
. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on March 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Monahan's Well image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, March 21, 2021
3. Monahan's Well
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 73 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201978

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024