Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hancock Springs

 
 
Hancock Springs Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, December 1, 2013
1. Hancock Springs Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  

First white settlers in 1850's found Indians using curative waters here. Town was quickly developed around the springs. Stage and freight routes and many cattle drives came this way. The springs took the name of landowner, John Hancock.

On a hill to the north about 1882, promoters of the Santa Fe Railway built a 200-room "Park Hotel," with boardwalk to the springs, bathhouses, many other luxuries. It gained wide fame as South's finest health resort.

Closed in a few years as a hotel, it later housed Centenary College, until it burned in 1895. Area is now a city park.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2353.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 31° 3.285′ N, 98° 10.985′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of American Legion Memorial Highway (U.S. 281) and Plum Street, on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
south. The marker is located in Hancock Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 US Hwy 281 S, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hancock Springs Bathhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Hostess House (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1957 Flood (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cook Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Matt and Rebecca Smith House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Malone-Manuel House (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
 
Hancock Springs Marker vicinity image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, December 1, 2013
2. Hancock Springs Marker vicinity
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202018

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024