Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Livingston Telephone Company

 
 
Livingston Telephone Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, July 9, 2022
1. Livingston Telephone Company Marker
Inscription.  Polk County's oldest public utility, the Livingston Telephone Company was organized Aug. 3, 1903, with S. H. Smith as president. The locally owned, independent telephone exchange operated a 24-hour switchboard on the second floor of a building at 315 N. Jackson. The system started with 40 hand-cranked telephones in service. By the time creosoted poles were installed in 1909, there were 124 telephones in use. In 1959 the exchange was converted to a fully automatic dialing system.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10406.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical date for this entry is August 3, 1903.
 
Location. 30° 42.716′ N, 94° 55.876′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of North Houston Avenue and East Polk Street, on the right when traveling south on North Houston Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 N Houston Avenue, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Livingston Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); "Polk County Enterprise"
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Polk County, C.S.A. (about 700 feet away); Polk County Courthouse (about 800 feet away); First State Bank of Livingston (about 800 feet away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
 
Livingston Telephone Company Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, July 9, 2022
2. Livingston Telephone Company Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2022, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2022, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202110

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024