Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Davenport in Scott County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church

Iowa Historic Site

 
 
St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 9, 2022
1. St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  
est. 1837
by Rev. Samuel Mazzuchelli, O.P.
Listed 05 Apr 89
This property is listed in the
National Register of Historic Places
State Historical Society of Iowa

 
Erected by State Historical Society of Iowa.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 41° 31.43′ N, 90° 34.515′ W. Marker is in Davenport, Iowa, in Scott County. It is in Downtown Davenport. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 N Main St, Davenport IA 52801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Anthony's Church & Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); The Democrat Newspaper Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The LeClaire House Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Chiropractic Adjustment (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corner of Ripley and Third Streets
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); E.S. Barrows House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hose Station No. 1 (approx. ¼ mile away); The Dillon Fountain (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Davenport.
 
Regarding St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church. Excerpt from the Davenport Architectural/Historical Survey form that led to the church complex's inclusion on the National Register in 1989:
St. Anthony's Catholic Church was established as a mission church in the 1830's. Father J.A. Pelamourges, noted pioneer missionary priest was the first pastor. The parish served approximately 30 Catholics, mainly Irish, by 1839. St. Anthony's chief benefactor was Antoine LeClaire.

By 1847, the church listed 450 members in a city with 2,000 population. A new stone church (the present structure) was constructed in 1850-53. Pelamourges continued 1868. He was succeeded by several priests for brief tenures until 1882 when D. J. Flannery became priest serving until 1916.

For many years St. Anthony's was the largest meeting place in the city, playing host to Iowa Supreme Court sessions and numerous civic events.

 
Also see . . .
St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 9, 2022
2. St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church Marker
 Parish History from 1837 to Today. The story of St. Anthony Church began with the Blackhawk Purchase of 1832 following the Blackhawk War. (St. Anthony Catholic Church) (Submitted on July 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202158

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024