Waynesboro in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gen. Jubal Early's Confederate troops occupied Waynesboro June 23, 1863. Next day they marched by Mont Alto to Greenwood, or Black Gap, where, June 25, they were ordered by Gen. Ewell to march to York.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Gettysburg Campaign, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is June 23, 1863.
Location. 39° 45.101′ N, 77° 34.228′ W. Marker is in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 16) and Roadside Ave., on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 E Main St, Waynesboro PA 17268, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Log Building (within shouting distance of this marker); John Wallace, Jr. (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nearby On This Tract of Land Called Mount Vernon Cupola – Waynesboro’s Crown Jewel (approx. ¼ mile away); To All Veterans (approx. 0.4 miles away); Waynesboro Memorial Park Memorials (approx. half a mile away); American Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Korean Casualties of Franklin County (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waynesboro.
Also see . . . Jubal A. Early (1816–1894). Encyclopedia Virginia website entry (Submitted on February 21, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,519 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on May 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on January 14, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.