Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Davenport in Scott County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

 
 
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Marker image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 9, 2022
1. Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Marker
National Register of Historic Places registration form:
Click for more information.
Inscription.  
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 41° 31.873′ N, 90° 34.502′ W. Marker is in Davenport, Iowa, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West 12th Street, on the left when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 W 12th St, Davenport IA 52803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Soldier's Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Parker-Ficke House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Palmers (approx. 0.2 miles away); B.J. Palmer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Palmer Family Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Argyle Flats (approx. ¼ mile away); Calvary Baptist Church - First Baptist Church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Original St. Ambrose College (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Davenport.
 
Regarding Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. Excerpt from the National Register nomination for the church, which was listed in 1974:
For the design of the building Bishop [Henry Washington] Lee had contacted one of the leading church architects in the country, Edward Tuckerman Potter of New York City. Potter, who produced several Victorian buildings during the period 1865-1875, studied under Richard Upjohn, a well-known promoter of the Gothic Revival.

The magnificent Trinity Cathedral was consecrated in mid-1873.

 
Also see . . .  History & Beliefs. Building of the cathedral was spearheaded by The Right Reverend Henry Washington Lee, first Episcopal Bishop of Iowa. The cornerstone was laid in 1867, and the building was completed in 1873, when the structure was consecrated as Grace Cathedral. It was renamed Trinity Cathedral in 1910, when Grace Cathedral and Trinity Parish united. (Trinity Episcopal Cathedral) (Submitted on July 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 9, 2022
2. Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202184

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024