Davenport in Scott County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Calvary Baptist Church - First Baptist Church
— Iowa Historic Site —
the National Register of Historic Places
Iowa State Historical Department
Division of Historic Preservation
Erected by Iowa State Historical Department, Division of Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 41° 32.054′ N, 90° 34.344′ W. Marker is in Davenport, Iowa, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of North Perry Street and East 14th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Perry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 N Perry St, Davenport IA 52803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Parker-Ficke House (approx. ¼ mile away); Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (approx. ¼ mile away); The Soldier's Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Original St. Ambrose College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Cathedral (approx. 0.3 The Palmers (approx. 0.4 miles away); B.J. Palmer House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Palmer Family Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Davenport.
Regarding Calvary Baptist Church - First Baptist Church. Excerpt from the Davenport Architectural/Historical Survey, the basis for which the church was listed on the National Register:
Calvary Baptist Church organized in 1851 after a split with another Baptist Church. A new church building was erected in 1857. At the end of the Civil War in 1864, the two congregations united as Calvary Regular Baptist Church. Ihis building was erected in 1890. Calvary was the largest Baptist church In Davenport.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church (Davenport, Iowa). Wikipedia entry on the church, which was designed by Chicago architect John S. Woolacott, built by John Whittaker and dedicated on May 25, 1890. (Submitted on July 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.