Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cat Spring in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Town of Cat Springs

 
 
Town of Cat Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 19, 2022
1. Town of Cat Springs Marker
Inscription.  
A Pioneer German Settlement
Founded in 1832 by Members
of the Amsler, Kleberg and
Von Roeder Families

 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 759.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
 
Location. 29° 51.862′ N, 96° 19.346′ W. Marker is in Cat Spring, Texas, in Austin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Hall Road and Farm to Market Road 1094. The marker is located at the front entrance to the Cat Spring Agricultural Society. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13035 Hall Road, Cat Spring TX 78933, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elemelech Swearingen (approx. 3.2 miles away); Millheim Harmonie Verein (approx. 4.1 miles away); Cumings Family Vault (approx. 6.3 miles away); Bellville Concordia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 6˝ miles away); L.A. and Adelheid Machemehl House (approx. 6.8 miles away); Early History of Bellville Methodist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Harigel House (approx. 7 miles away); Michael Robert Pilley (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Cat Spring, Texas. Wikipedia
Cat Spring was founded by immigrants from Oldenburg and Westphalia that was led by Ludwig Anton Siegmund von Roeder and Robert J. Kleberg in 1834, in which many of them were attracted to the area and the state by letters sent from Friedrich Ernst after he bought a plot of land in the Mill Creek Valley in 1831 and named for a nearby spring near the San Bernard River where a puma was killed by one of the German immigrants. The first Protestant church was organized in the community sometime between 1840-and 1844 by Louis C. Ervendberg. The community was the location of Texas' first agricultural society (Cat Spring Agricultural Society) in 1856.
(Submitted on July 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
Town of Cat Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 19, 2022
2. Town of Cat Springs Marker
The Cat Spring Agricultural Society building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 19, 2022
3. The Cat Spring Agricultural Society building
The view of the Town of Cat Springs Marker and Cat Spring Agricultural Society building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 19, 2022
4. The view of the Town of Cat Springs Marker and Cat Spring Agricultural Society building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202528

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024