Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hill House

 
 
Hill House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 19, 2022
1. Hill House Marker
Inscription.  The first known person to occupy the land where the Hill House is located was Judge Robert M. "Three Legged Willie" Williamson. During his ownership, the community of San Felipe de Austin was burned to the ground by order of Moseley Baker, a garrison leader under the command of Gen. Sam Houston's army during the Texas Revolution. By May 1836, families returned to San Felipe and began rebuilding the community. It is believed that at this time Williamson or the subsequent landowner, E.W. Johnson, constructed the original structure of the Hill House. Prior to 1842 the property was sold to Col. David Young Portis, who married Rebecca Cumings on Dec. 28, 1842.

The home changed hands several times during the next fifty years. Sometime between 1880 and 1893, the home underwent changes that included the addition of a second floor. Henry and Anne Josey Pitts enlarged the house using material, including the staircase, from Anne's father's home, which was demolished that same year. Henry Pitt's uncle, Jacob Hill, bought the home in 1899 and presented it as a wedding gift to his son Jacob Walter Hill and his new bride, Carrie May Elder. For
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
more than a hundred years, descendants of Jacob and Carrie Hill have maintained ownership of the house.

The two-story, wood-clad home was built using cypress lumber and its unique construction, a result of the two story addition, is representative of 19th-century vernacular architectural styles in Texas. It features three brick chimneys and simple Queen Anne-style gingerbread porch supports. The home was completely restored in 2009.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1962

 
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11704.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1836.
 
Location. 29° 48.354′ N, 96° 6.057′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is on Park Road 38, 0.1 miles east of Antonio Martinez Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located along the street in front of the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 256 Park Road 38, San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Town Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toward Revolution (approx. 0.2 miles away); J.J. Josey General Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Burning of San Felipe
The view of the Hill House and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 19, 2022
2. The view of the Hill House and Marker from the street
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Austin's Colony: First Colony in Mexican Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Felipe de Austin Colonial Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jane Wilkins' Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Felipe.
 
Also see . . .
1. San Felipe de Austin, TX. Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on July 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Williamson, Robert McAlpin [Three Legged Willie] (ca. 1806–1859). Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on July 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202605

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024