Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Laredo in Webb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort McIntosh Barracks

 
 
Fort McIntosh Barracks Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
1. Fort McIntosh Barracks Marker
Inscription.  The last remaining of three brick barracks constructed in 1880 by the U.S. Army to quarter troops engaged in scouting and escort duty along the Rio Grande. The structure originally had four large rooms, divided by a central stairway. The exterior has not been altered. Soldiers who occupied the building served in the Spanish-American War and both world wars. Ownership of Fort McIntosh was transferred to Laredo Junior College in 1947.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962

 
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1997.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, World IWar, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1947.
 
Location. 27° 30.386′ N, 99° 31.176′ W. Marker is in Laredo, Texas, in Webb County. Marker can be reached from Hudson Road, 0.1 miles south of Victoria Street. The marker is located at the front entrance of the Domingo Arechiga Hall on the grounds of Laredo College. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Laredo TX 78040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort McIntosh (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); All U.S. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pvt. David Bennes Cantú Barkley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort McIntosh Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jovita Idar (approx. half a mile away); El Primer Congreso Mexicanista (approx. half a mile away); Saint Peter the Apostle Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holding Institute (Laredo Seminary) (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laredo.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located on the campus of Laredo College which was originally the historic Fort McIntosh.
 
Also see . . .  Fort McIntosh, Texas. Wikipedia
Fort McIntosh was established on 3 March 1849 by the 1st US Infantry, under the command of Lt. E.L. Viele, to guard the Texas frontier at the site of a strategic river crossing. Originally named Camp Crawford, the fort was renamed Fort McIntosh in 1850 in honor of Lieutenant Colonel James Simmons McIntosh, a hero in the Battle of Molino del Rey during the Mexican–American War.
(Submitted on August 1, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Fort McIntosh Barracks and Marker from the front porch image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
2. The view of the Fort McIntosh Barracks and Marker from the front porch
The entrance to the Fort McIntosh Barracks with the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
3. The entrance to the Fort McIntosh Barracks with the Marker
The Fort McIntosh Barracks image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
4. The Fort McIntosh Barracks
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202966

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024