Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Wagner Cottage

 
 
Wagner Cottage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 29, 2022
1. Wagner Cottage Marker
Inscription.  
Santa Cruz
Wagner Cottage
Home of John Wagner, Pioneer
And Fred Wagner, Blacksmith
Historical Society

 
Erected by Santa Cruz County Museum of Art & History.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 36° 58.793′ N, 122° 2.281′ W. Marker is in Santa Cruz, California, in Santa Cruz County. Marker is on Highland Drive, on the left when traveling east. The marker is mounted on the front porch to the right of the door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 606 Highland Drive, Santa Cruz CA 95060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lady of the Night (approx. 0.2 miles away); Williams (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grave of Grove C. Cook (approx. 0.2 miles away); California Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Remembering Chinese Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arthur A. Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louden (London) Nelson
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Isaac Graham: “Swashbuckling Soldier of Fortune (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Cruz.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Santa Cruz Historic Building Survey, Volume III, March 2013
"Embedded in this ca. 1875 residence is a portion of the 1850s Nicolas Dodero house. Dodero was an Italian sailor who came to Branciforte and acquired a portion of the Tres Ojo de Agua Rancho in 1844, upon which he built his small house. The farm was purchased by John Wagner in 1873, and he cut the old house in half and moved it back on the property. Wagner incorporated Dodero’s house into this farmhouse that he built about 1875. Wagner was a German immigrant who came to the area in 1856, and worked in the tanneries and farmed what was then about 43‐acres. His son and daughter‐in‐law, Fred and Grace Wagner, lived in the house until the 1970s. Fred Wagner was an established blacksmith in Santa Cruz. The family donated to the City a part of their farm known as Wagner’s Gulch. That land, now known as Wagner’s Grove, is included today in Harvey West Park."
    — Submitted
Wagner Cottage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 29, 2022
2. Wagner Cottage Marker
August 4, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California.
 
Wagner Cottage image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 29, 2022
3. Wagner Cottage
Do you see the deer?
Wagner Cottage image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 29, 2022
4. Wagner Cottage
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203163

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024