Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Progressive Baptist Church

 
 
Progressive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 29, 2022
1. Progressive Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  
Santa Cruz County
1902
Progressive Baptist Church
Built by Unitarian Congregation
Historical Trust Landmark

 
Erected by Santa Cruz County Museum of Art & History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 36° 58.271′ N, 122° 1.682′ W. Marker is in Santa Cruz, California, in Santa Cruz County. Marker is on Center Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is mounted to the left of the front doors. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 517 Center Street, Santa Cruz CA 95060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Progressive Baptist Hall & Parsonage (a few steps from this marker); Cope House (within shouting distance of this marker); Matilda Dreher Home (within shouting distance of this marker); First Services (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); German-Methodist Parsonage
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away); Calvary Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); The Walti-Schilling Residence (about 300 feet away); Lincoln Court (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Cruz.
 
Regarding Progressive Baptist Church. Santa Cruz Historic Building Survey, Volume III, March 2013
”517-519 Center Street All Souls Unitarian Church
(Progressive Baptist Church and Hall)
Neoclassical, 1902-Edward Van Cleeck, architect, sanctuary
1905, residence
The Unitarian congregation inaugurated the Neoclassical style All Souls Unitarian Church structure at this site in 1902, adding in 1909, adjacent to the south, the two-story Hackley Hall. The congregation had been founded in Santa Cruz in 1866. With a diminishing membership in the 1940s, the Unitarians relocated to the Hall and in 1947, sold the sanctuary building to the Santa Cruz Church of Christ, who in 1952, purchased the 1905 residence adjacent to the north for use as a Sunday School. The Church of Christ sold the sanctuary building and the converted residence to the current owners in 1963, the Progressive Missionary Baptist Church. The Unitarians removed
Progressive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 29, 2022
2. Progressive Baptist Church Marker
entirely from the original site in 1971 when Hackley Hall was condemned and the building razed. The church sanctuary as well as the parsonage and fellowship hall were renovated between 1988 and 1992, and included the addition of the bell tower and steeple.”
 
Progressive Baptist Church & Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 29, 2022
3. Progressive Baptist Church & Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203258

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024