Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Plan of the Town of Delaware
Ohio Wesleyan University was established in 1842, in one building (Elliot Hall) which at the time was located a short distance from the proposed location for the bioretention cell. Elliot was built near a sulphur spring, which flowed into the Delaware Run, near the earliest settlements in the area. The proposed bioretention cell is located along an unnamed stream just south of the sulphur spring and Delaware Run. The stream was culverted and buried sometime in the early 1900s. This stream drained parts of what is now the south and west side of campus. The area was developed as an athletic field for Ohio Wesleyan shortly afterwards. Branch Rickey Stadium was built on the site in 1976. The proposed bioretention cell will occupy space on the north side of Branch Rickey Stadium, in a low area along the path of the buried stream. The bioretention cell will not only enhance water quality, but will bring visibility to student-led projects directly on OWU's campus.
The City of Delaware works diligently to keep waterways healthy. One way this is achieved, is through compliance with the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency's (OEPA)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 40° 17.721′ N, 83° 3.975′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Sandusky Street and Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 S Sandusky St, Delaware OH 43015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesley Branch Rickey (a few steps from this marker); Andrew Wilson (within shouting distance of this marker); Elliott Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments (about 400 feet away); University Hall and Gray Chapel (about 400 feet away); The Sulphur Spring (about 600 feet away); The Harrison Trail (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware.
More about this marker. On the grounds of the Ohio Wesleyan University.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.