Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The C.C. McCulloch House

 
 
The C.C. McCulloch House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 4, 2022
1. The C.C. McCulloch House Marker
Inscription.  Waco physician Josiah H. Caldwell (d. 1896) constructed a two-room house and detached kitchen on this site about 1866. Champe Carter McCulloch (1841-1907) purchased the property in 1871. Incorporating the existing structures, he built the present two-story Greek Revival residence. A local merchant, he also served as mayor of Waco, 1890-1894. He and his wife Emma had ten children, and members of their family lived in the house until 1971.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1979
2nd Plaque

Entered In
The National Register
Of Historic Places
1972

 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5297.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
 
Location. 31° 33.548′ N, 97° 8.01′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and North 4th Street, on the right when traveling west on Columbus Avenue. The marker is located on the left side
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the front door to the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 Columbus Avenue, Waco TX 76701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Courthouses of McLennan County (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); McLennan County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Alico Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gerald-Harris Shooting (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Waco Tornado (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waco (approx. ¼ mile away); Brann-Davis Shootings (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Lodge of Texas, A.F & A.M. (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
 
Also see . . .  McCulloch House. Waco History
The 1953 tornado destroyed a large portion of McCulloch House which later had to be completely reconstructed. Some of this damage can still be seen today, such as the portion of stairs that remains slanted. Members of the McCulloch family continued to live in the house until 1971, at which point the heirs donated it to Historic Waco Foundation. McCulloch House has a lively history that is continuously being enhanced by the people who maintain it. Source: Kyle Ruiz
(Submitted on August 8, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The front porch of the C.C. McCulloch House with the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 4, 2022
2. The front porch of the C.C. McCulloch House with the Marker
The C.C. McCulloch House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 4, 2022
3. The C.C. McCulloch House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203359

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024