Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Evers House

 
 
Evers House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joe Lotz, August 9, 2022
1. Evers House Marker
Inscription.  

Located on a prominent hilltop and street, in a neighborhood known as Silk Stocking Row, this house was built for Robert Henry Evers (1859-1936) and Mary Euphemia (Taylor) Evers (1861-1941). They married in Texarkana in 1882 and lived in Paris, Texas. In 1885, the couple moved to Denton where Robert established Evers Hardware with his brother, Adolph Frederick (A.F.) Evers, on the courthouse square. The store was in continuous operation from 1885-1998 and played a significant role in the development of Denton.

After arriving in Denton, the Evers lived in a series of homes until 1903. Construction on the Evers family home began in July 1903 and finished in December. The house was designed by Austin architecture firm C.H. Page, Jr. & Bro. and built by Frank Craft, a local builder who constructed many significant homes in Denton.

Built in the neoclassical style, the Evers house features Corinthian Columns, balustrades on the porches, bay windows and boxed cornices. Other notable elements include roman oval arch windows on the east and west gables, and smooth wrought-iron circular basement ventilators in a double circle
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and star pattern, reminiscent of the lone star of Texas.

When it was built, the house contained twelve rooms spanning three floors, a gymnasium for the children complete with a skating rink, basketball and gymnastic equipment and a carriage house. In 1977, a fire destroyed the roof and third floor; however, through community support and efforts, the house was repaired and then restored in the 1970s and 1980s.
 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18839.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1903.
 
Location. 33° 12.935′ N, 97° 8.649′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is at the intersection of West Oak Street and North Welch Street, on the left when traveling west on West Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1035 West Oak Street, Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Newton and Eva Tabor Rayzor House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lipscomb-Doggett House (about 600 feet away); Scripture-Deavenport House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin-Russell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historical Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mounts House
Evers House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joe Lotz, August 9, 2022
2. Evers House
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Christal House (approx. ¼ mile away); Mounts-Wright House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203496

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024